Photoshop Watercolor Tutorial

Pin It!


I have worked in illustration and design for many years, and Photoshop is like a second language for me. I do love photography, and use my camera for many things inside and outside of "work". One of my favorite things to do is create watercolor-type prints out of my favorite photos. You can see examples of this photo above, Cosmos and a Ginko print here at Maddalee.

** I've had a few people ask if this tutorial will work with Photoshop Elements. I have never worked in this program, only the full version of Photoshop. However, I did a search for "FILTER>Art Brushes>Watercolor in Photoshop Elements and it seems that there are Art Brush filters in this program. The Watercolor brush is one that I use in the tutorial, and if that's there, I would guess the others are as well.


However, not only are these watercolor results fun to frame and hang on the wall, they can be beautiful parts of any paper art project that may call for decorative, or "scrap paper prints". As you can see in the above Mini Journal with Gift Box project, I have used both my Cosmo and Ginko prints as the decorative paper I needed to create these projects. Imagine the possibilities! I zoom in on the prints for an abstract type watercolor look that I love to use many ways.


It's not hard at all to achieve results like this from your own favorite photos. I will take you through many different steps that you can play around with until you achieve results you love. This is the thing with Photoshop, there are many ways to achieve the same or different results and not all accidents are awful, some are very beautiful. I have used a Wacom tablet for some of my work, but these are all done with Photoshop filters and a mouse, no extra tools needed.

See the full tutorial here.

Please be sweet, leave me a comment and do the following to support this fun little blog and keep it going for all to enjoy:

FRIEND US, FOLLOW US & SUBSCRIBE HERE, WE OFTEN HAVE SPECIAL FUN FOR OUR SWEET FOLLOWERS!

21 comments:

  1. I am interested in your tut. i have a lot of flowers pictures
    911barb@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to learn this
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have like facebook, shared on facebook, written here and subscribed to the email thingy,

      Delete
    2. Hi, I have sent you the link, let me know if you have any questions, thank you!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an excellent technique to use for many other purposes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marq, it's really nice to see you here! I have sent your link. Let me know if you have any questions, we can talk up in the "Forum".

      :)

      Nancu

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! I can't wait to learn how I can do this as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, I've sent you the tutorial link. Let's talk up in the "Forum", if you have any questions or comments.

      Thank you!

      Nancy

      Delete
  5. I would love some instructions, the technique looks gorgeous!

    --- dalis
    alidalis AT comcast DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dalis, I have sent you the tutorial link, thank you so much for visiting and following Maddalee! I have just looked at the Digidare? blog briefly and am quite interested...it's a new media for me. Hmmm, what can I do, what can I do? So many ideas and projects swim in my head!

    xo

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh,oooh,oooh, I want to learn this!I'm a new follower and facebook fan. klheath11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thank you so much for visiting Maddalee and being a new friend! I have sent your link, I hope you enjoy! Please ask any questions or comments up in the Forum, I will be happy to help.

      xoxo Nancy

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Holly! It's nice to see you here again and very nice linking up with you!

      Delete
  9. Hi- I would also love the tutorial. Love your work! I'm following you because I don't have a Facebook account. Thanks. chall124@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have sent you the tutorial link. Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  10. These are so beautiful - Would this work in Photoshop Elements?

    I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, I think it will work with Photoshop Elements. I have a Forum up top and would be glad to answer any questions that I can. Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  11. I would love the tutorial emailed to me...
    lkwhite61@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lori, I am glad you want to try our tutorial! Did you follow Maddalee here at the blog and like us on Facebook? It would be sweet to help us out if you would do this first.

    Thank you! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nancy,

    I am following, liking and wanting to learn more from you. Please send a link to your full tutorial.
    tvoss123@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete