Skinny Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Pin It!
This is a favorite mid-week recipe for us when the weather is cool. Then, just like my Turkey Chili recipe, we have a week worth of lunches or quick dinners for busy days and we go for less fast food. This very easy recipe is even easier for me when I have a big week, as I will be lazy and use canned white meat chicken, usually from Trader Joe's, as I believe this canned chicken has less additives than some others. The other thing I love to do, that is not on the original ingredient list is add frozen peas just when I warm a bowl of soup up, then they stay sparkly green, don't turn gray and mushy and keep their sweet crispness. Petite frozen peas are what I look for, yum yum yum!

Ingredients

1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, sauteed
2 boxes chicken broth
1 cup cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups wild rice/brown rice medley
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Directions

Add chopped vegetables to Dutch oven with two boxes of chicken broth, water and wild rice medley. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes, until rice is tender. While rice mixture cooks, saute fresh mushrooms. When rice is tender, add mushrooms and cooked chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste and heat through.

1 cup serving: 150 calories.

This soup has great flavor, fills me up and has very low calories, I hope you try it!

Have a warm day!

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a heartwarming dish!
    I would love to have you link them (or any other recipe of yours) up to Wednesday Extravaganza – my Foodie Link Party :)
    Here is the link:
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/10/wednesday-extravaganza.html

    Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to give this a try....thanks for sharing...now following

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Now I know what we are having for dinner tonight.... Thank you so much for sharing this yummy looking recipe. Pinning!

    hugs ~ Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Crystelle! So sweet that you pinned, thanks again. xoxo Nancy

      Delete
  4. This looks like it would be so yummy on a chilly day! I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, I linked! Kind of flooded your party, so sorry...but I lose control at new linky parties. :|

      I hope you have a great party, thank you for the invite.

      Delete
  5. Just made this tonight....super yummo! The mushrooms make this one stand out. I did add some garlic while cooking up the mushrooms....as well as some parsley to the broth. Thanks again! Blessings~~angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Angela...just sent you an email, also.

      : )

      Delete
  6. I could eat soup every day. I'm pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Carlene! Don't you wish you could live at Pinterest? I don't have enough time, with real work and all. :D

      Delete
  7. mmm... is that the black pearl rice medley from Bulk Barn?
    It is my FAVOURITE rice!
    Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph, the rice blend I used is from Trader Joe's, but does have that black pearl rice in it. It's very good! Thank you for visiting Maddalee!

      Delete
  8. Hi there. The current Food on Friday is all about Rice and other grains! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Wishing you a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete