Skinny Apple Salad—Not Your Grandma's Waldorf!

Pin It!

I love the crisp apples we pick in the fall. My favorites are Honey Crisp or Gala (such beautiful color), I'm not one to like a more sour apple, it causes too much pucker and they make my jaw cramp! But that is just me, so if you are a Granny Smith type, go for it! I do crave the sweet crispness with creamy decadence that used to be the Waldorf Salad that my grandma would make. Mayo and sugar...at least she didn't add marshmallows! Now this recipe gives me that same feeling, with the creamy dressing, sweet chewy raisins, crunchy pecans along with crisp celery and apples. Much healthier and also with added protein from the yogurt. I've tried to make it with just yogurt, and it separates and gets watery. Just a little mayonnaise seems to keep it creamier and delightful. Do you put other ingredients in your apple salads? Cut up Snicker Bars? Marshmallows? I've had these and really like them, I do try to only have them for real holidays, not just to celebrate Wednesday!


Ingredients

4 apples
2-3 celery stalks
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Dressing

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey

Instructions

In a medium size bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing. Mix well with a whisk. Cut, core and slice apples, place in salad bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add sliced celery, raisins, pecans and dressing, toss until mixed. Chill until serving.

6 servings, 120 calories per serving.

Have a sweet day!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds good. It reminds me of a coleslaw I had at a restaurant. It was called "honey lime cilantro coleslaw". It didn't have a mayonnaise or cream base and it was so fresh tasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Julie...all gone now, though. We will make more whenever you decide to come home. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks super yummy, although I think I'll leave out the celery. :)
    We just got our link party up and running and would love if you came and joined in on the fun. Each week we are giving away free ad space for one week to one random party goer. Our main site gets thousands of hits per day and The Better Half gets thousands per week. Hope to see you there! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-5/

    ReplyDelete