Let's Make a Better Granola Bar

Pin It!

We love these granola bars! They are very easy to make, I think of all the cash I have dropped on granola bars over the years and I wish I had tried to make these sooner! They may not be totally healthy, but at least I know what goes into them and I can spell all the ingredient names, and I can choose organic products if I wish and still make them for a reasonable price. I admit that I don't have a lot of patience to bake cookies, if they are a "drop one cookie at a time" on a baking sheet kind of thing. I look at all the beautiful cookie recipes on blogs and don't like my impatience very much, but that being said I can make these granola bars and feel good about myself, one bar really fills me up and I don't get a sugar crash later, like I do with cookies. A double batch is just as easy as a single batch to bake up, and that makes 24 bars, enough to last a family at least a week! The most fun is adding different ingredients, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pecans, craisins, chocolate chips (white or dark!) and they are still easy and taste great. I made them today just with the basic recipe, as just like this they are still a favorite of ours.

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup sliced almonds
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°. Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins, almonds and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the maple syrup, egg, butter and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

Makes 24 bars. 161 calories per bar.

I hope you try these and enjoy them as much as we do!

15 comments:

  1. Yum those look delicious! Stopping by from the Inspiration Friday link up:) I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by and enter the giveaway I have going on at http://the-life-of-faith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith, thank you so much for visiting Maddalee and following us! I will head over...

      Delete
  2. HI! I made granola bars recently and I did have a lot of fun making and sharing them with friends! I used honey instead of the syrup. But now I've just mixed up all sorts of nuts (lazzzy!) and eaten them up. You're my 500th GFC follower and I'd like to send you an ATC as a thank you. So pls send me your snail mail address at patsy.paterno (at) gmail.com, and I'll send you your ATC. Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patsy, oh my goodness, how exciting...I will email you my address and thank you so much! It's good to see you here, we have a lot more fun planned, I hope you will join us.

      Have a good day, Nancy

      Delete
  3. May need to try these~ look so good! Love your blog~ the whole thing is just so happy and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to see this...my kids love granola bars but I hate buying them. Cannot wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Maddalee, Holly! And especially thank you for your sweet comment and for featuring me on your blog 504 Main!

      Have a good day, Nancy

      Delete
  5. Oh yum! I'm pinning this one.  I'd  love to have you link this us to Titus 2 Tuesday this week on Cornerstone Confessions.. I hope to see you there. 

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Maddalee, Kathy...I will go check you blog out.

      Have a good day, Nancy

      Delete
  6. Healthy and delicious! I love it!
    Thank you for linking up to Wednesday Extravaganza! Come back Sunday to vote and maybe claim the first spot on my Wall of Fame :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up at the Ginger Jamboree! I hope to see you there next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! I love granola bars! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete