Easy 200 Calorie Turkey Chili Recipe...Yummmm!

Pin It!

Now I know summer is officially over. I made my favorite, best ever turkey chili today! I love to have a warm bowl of this chili for lunch when I'm working at home, knowing it's only 200 calories and everything in it is pretty good, no sugar, no fluffy white foods that just are not good for me! I must say that I like this chili well enough to have it again for dinner, if we have no other plans. I usually make a batch of this one week, and the next week my favorite and best ever wild rice chicken soup in the cooler weather. Now I must make that for next week's recipe. But, getting back to this chili recipe, it's really easy to make, I did it during the day today complete with photography and writing the blog post while getting a few other deadlines handled. Really easy. And really yummy!

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey, onion and green pepper in the pot, and cook until turkey is evenly brown and veggies are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili beans, garlic powder, salt and pepper and other spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.

Makes 8 servings, 198 calories per serving.


When I'm busy in my home office, it's very easy for me to get hungry and run out to bring something quick home for lunch. I was able to make this chili in the time it would take me to run out and get back again, and then have it for the rest of the week. Saves time, saves money!

Have a spicy day!

14 comments:

  1. Nancy...I LOVE your presentation of the lean chili. I will have to remember this the next time I entertain. Thanks for sharing.
    Laurie @ Pride in Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and thank you for stopping over at Maddalee, so sweet.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! My husband looooves turkey chili and gets excited to make it every fall. I see your extra lean Jenny O turkey in the pic too. We're obsessed with that stuff! We keep about 4 in the house all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, we do love the Jenny O turkey also! Thank you so much for stopping by Maddalee, have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy, and thank you for visiting Maddalee!

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm totally going to give this a try:)

    I'm your newest follower visiting from Made By You Monday Blog Hop. Come and say hi!

    http://elizakprints.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliza, it's so nice to see you here at Maddalee, and thank you for following me!

      Have a good day, Nancy

      Delete
  5. So gorgeous and heartwarming! This dish means Family Dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THis has been pinned! I love low fat recipes of things that I love

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm featuring your recipe on my Meal plan this week!

    http://www.shecookscraftsruns.net/2012/12/dinner-menu-for-123-127.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sara...it's good to see you here again and I will check your meal plan out!

      Delete
  8. Kind of confused by your recipe, i got all of the ingredients in the list and started making it but noticed in the picture it shows diced tomatoes but in the list it calls for crushed, also you state something about kidney beans that aren't in the list either...i ended up adding a can of kidney beans to thicken it up because it's almost like spaghetti sauce, so should i have used diced tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I believe what you see in the photo is the the chopped red pepper, not diced tomatoes. Also the recipe lists chili beans, which basically are kidney beans, just spiced up with a sauce. I will make that word change in the directions! I do used crushed tomatoes and they can be rather thick, it isn't too thin for us. The tomato paste also thickens the chili. I hope this helps!

      Delete